Sunday, August 22, 2021

Dyslexia

Heard someone talking about having trouble lerning to read as a child, because he was dyslexic. I'm not exactly szure what dyslexia is, tried to look it up but my eyes are so bad this morning I couldn't see the Google page well enough to I gave up. So I'll guess anyway. It's a condition in which a word looks like a jumble of shapes without meaning.

I'd expect that for many people taught the "SEE-SAY" OWR WHOLE WORD method that was adopted instead of phonics in the schools, which was one of the stupidest things they ever did. I was lucky to be taught phonics and when I had friends later who hadn't been I was astonished to find that although they wree very bright they couldn't spell and they struggled to pronounce new words. I don't know what they'd expect of a method that just throws a whole word at a kid instead of teaching him how to read it from left to right right by sounding it out. Language is first of all auditory, letters have sounds, words are made up of letters that have sounds. At least in English they are. You can learn to read any word by sounding it out from left to right. And you learn to spell that way too. Some children learn to read in spite of this handicap, perhaps they intuit the phonetic nature of words, I don't know, but those who don't are put in an unnecessarily difficult position.

I kind of think anyone who has dyslexia, at whatever age, could cure it by just learning the basic principles of phonics.

But what do I know. I'm just guesdsing.

No comments: