Thursday, August 22, 2024

The Tone of Evangelicalism

 I am often promoting Protestant or evangelical Christianity over catholicism , which of course I have to do because that's where the truth is, BUT even as I do so I'm uncomfortable with what I think of as the imageage it has in the public eye.  The telebvangelists of course who are a huge embarrassment, but even just the everyday average evangelical congregation behaves in ways that make me cringe.  

Whyu do they always have to sound like they are at a football game when something is said up front that they approve of, erupting into whistles and yhells and whoops.  God grief.  WAnd ehwn a speaker they like is brought onstage you get the same reception for him or her a Hollywood celebrity might get, all hyped up by the introducer of the person, put em together for  so and so and all that.  It couldn't be sounding more like a worldly event of the worst kind.  

I don't hear the Holy Spirit in any of that and it makes me wish I didn't have only evengelicalism to offer when I talk about the problems with other religions.  There doesn't even seem to be a particular denomination I could prefer either, mmy own favorites often carry on in the same tone, not always but enought hat the recommendation is muddied.

Catholic discussions I've herd online end to be quiet and serious and respectful and although they are rpomoting a pagan monstrosity of a religion I have to say I much prefer their general tone to that of evangelicalism.  

 

No comments: