Tuesday, August 9, 2022

The Sabbath and the Lord's Day

Because there are so many references to Sabbath observance and Sabbath-breaking in Ryle's books I realized I need to know more about the history of this practice.   I've accepted the contemporary understanding that Jesus is our Sabbath rest so that the observance of the day itself was ended with His first coming but the seriousness of these old saints I've been reading about does make me stop and wonder if they had a better understanding of these things than we do.

So I looked for videos at You tube addressing the subject of the Sabbath.  I specifically looked for J C Ryle on the subject ut didn't find anything.  Then I decided to look for talks on the Ten Commandmenets as a whole and found the Puritan thomas Watson on that subject.   I listened only to his discussion of the fourth commandmenet and fouhd him laying out the importance of Sabbath observance with the same passion I was hearing in the eighteenth century preachers Ryle was writing about.

\It's very convicing, it's full of a deep reverence for God And a plausible explanation of the scriptural grounds for continuing the obserfvance into the Christian era.  


S I needed to remind myself of today's interpretation hoping I could find somethinjg of a comparable depth and value.  I did.   John MacArthur.   Two talks, one on the Sabbath and the next on the Lord's Day.

\https://youtu.be/DxQ4ffL7caU?t=12

All I'm going to do here is give the links to thes different interpretive systems though it needs more discussion.  \\


Why Sunday Is the Lord’s Day (Selected Scriptures) - YouTube

I wWhy Sunday Is the Lord’s Day (Selected Scriptures) - YouTubeas struck by Watson's final statement on the fourth commandment where he talks about the consequences of what  he, and apparently the Puritans in general, considered to be a serious sin.  Hardening of hearts, searing of the conscience, and the begetting as it were of more sin.   Sincew that's what's been going on in today's culture and I've been pondering the connection with feminism because of what I heard about a study by Wayne Grudem that found feminism at the start of many church deteriorations into apostasy, Watsons's comment made me wonder if our abandonment of the Sabbath in today's cultures had a similar role.     After hearing MacArthur I gave up that line of thought and I'm glad of that in one way, for sure, but also was hoping to find a solid basis for understanding the path of deterioration not only in the culture but in the churches.   Maybe feminism and liberalism are enough.\\Anyway here are some other discussions about the Sabbath. 


 Thomas Watson on the Ten Commenments, whree I listened to the chapter on the Sabbath, the Fourth Commandment:

The Ten Commandments (Part I) | Thomas Watson | Christia


And here's Voddie Baucham on the Fourth Commandment


 Audiobook - YouTube

No comments: